Thursday, September 13, 2012

Read to Self/Classroom Library Question...

Whew! What a first week and a half!!! I have started to post a few times and then just got distracted by all the craziness. I feel like I am on another planer this year! I get the district stuff and third graders, but being in a different building this year is throwing me for a loop! I am scrambling to modify what I thought I was going to be teaching and my brain is tired!

I plan to post more extensively ASAP, but had a question for third grade teachers or even fourth grade teachers. I have been thinking about how to organize my library this year. Right now, the kids are just picking books they like to get us started with Daily 5. I would like to support them with choosing books at their independent, but not completely too easy, level. In first grade, I have a section of my library with leveled books. Kids choose 5 leveled books and two classroom library books. I'm not sure what to do now. I would still like to have a leveled section, but I would also like to organize by genre and series. It's just not as easy when kids are reading chapter books.

Then I think that maybe I should just focus them on making good choices and have 1 chapter book, 2 picture books, and 2 non-fiction books.

Any suggestions on how to comprimise with choosing books for Read to Self in the upper grades?
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment