Wednesday, June 10, 2015

What Will You Be Reading This Summer?

Lori, over at Conversations in Literacy, wrote a post about what she will be readign this summer!  I am sure there are a few blog-book clubs out there, but to be honest, I just can’t keep up with them.  They usually start while I am still in school and then I feel guilty for getting behind…so I think it is best to just work at my own pace.

Here’s what I’m reading this summer:

Image result for lucy calkins units of study grade 3

Lucy Calkins Units of Study for 3rd Grade - My district adopted Calkins this year and it was a rough start.  These books are PACKED with lesson models and resources.  I don’t think we even scraped the surface with what we were able to try due to the sheer volume of content and change to our program.  My goal is to REALLY read through the units and block out some long-range plans

Image result for daily 5 second edition

Oh, Daily 5, how I missed you this year!  I bought the second edition of the book and especially wanted to update my math system.  I have yet to read it Sad smile!   I team taught this year and had a couple student teachers and a variety of other circumstances that changed how I typically do things.  I found that my classroom just didn’t work the way I wanted it to this year and my instruction and management suffered in my opinion.  I am returning to D5 next year, as I found that my classroom just didn’t “work” without having it firmly in place.  Sometimes, what works works and change is not necessary.  You live, you learn! 

Image result for Literacy playbook

I have wanted to read this book FOREVER!  I saw the author at a workshop last year and loved the premise.  It is very similar to the Calkins apporach for writing and I am excited about finding some new ideas.

Image result for 100 minutes

This is ANOTHER book I bought this year and have not even cracked yet!  The premise is that centers are great, but what is realistic.  Again, looking forward to expanding my thinking.

These are the professional books I really want to read this summer.  I could add a dozen or so to the list, but that would stress me out, so I won’t!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much keep showing such a great information..
    really appreciated
    keep doing good work
    helping teacher in need

    ReplyDelete