Saturday, February 19, 2011

Transportation Notes

I don't know how I ever kept track of transportation changes when I first started teaching. I guess I didn't really think about it because I taught older kids and they knew where they were going.

The first year I taught first grade, I copied all student notes before sending them to the office so that I could remember what they are doing at the end of the day. I was planning with another teacher and noticed that she had a board near her door to note all of the transportation info for her class. Genius!

I found a board that was half whiteboard, half cork board at a yard sale. When I mentioned that I was a teacher, the lady gave it to me for free! I painted the wood and the cork board black. I used Vis-a-Vis marker to write "Pick-Ups" and "Bus Changes" on the board. This way I can note any changes that come in. I even put the note basket right underneath the board on a shelf so that I can immediately record this information before sending the notes to the office.

This year I added our information sheet with each student's typical afternoon arrangement to the board. I had always had it floating somewhere in the room and scrambled when I needed it for myself or a sub. This year, I put it in a plastic page protector (to protect it from the rain and snow when I go outside) and hang it on a re-use it hook. Then, any time I have a sub, I just refer them to the location of the info.

Just a few ideas I came across over the years!

No comments:

Post a Comment