I'm linking up with Latoya for the Let's Get Acquainted Linky Party. This week's topic is about about personal goals for the upcoming school year.
These are my goals:
- Conquer the Paper Piles – I am a piler! I end up stacking paper everywhere and sometimes, I hate to say it, but I have to move a pile so I can teach groups. I end up stashing piles on shelves, in cabinets and other various places. This bad habit quickly leads to feeling unorganized and sometimes not being able to find things. (How many times have I made a new copy rather than try to find what I have?!?) My goal is to prevent that paper pile from starting!
- Use my planning time! I have been better at this the last two or three years, but my goal is to get more corrections done during this time and to not take that gigantic teacher bag home very night!
- Utilize parent volunteers! I have never been great with having helpers in my room. To be honest, it has been my experience that helpers want to hang out with the kids and not actually help them or teacher. I plan to avoid the dance and let parents know that I need them to help with copies, hanging displays, and other specific tasks. (Here’s to being assertive – I think I’ve earned it after 13 years of teaching!) I teach my students to be independent and have never found the need to have adults help with centers and such. I find I get distracted and sometimes the supported activity does not go as well as it would have if the kids were doing it on their own. I also think it would be helpful to have parents in during technology time – 22 second graders and laptops is not a pretty!
- Leave work between 4:00 and 4:30! I will continue my college courses this year, so I know that I can do this! Here’s to not going to school on the weekends too!
- Get to work earlier! I pushed my home time in the morning up to the very last minutes the last few years. I hope to get in earlier and get started to reduce stress during the day.
- Spend less of my own moolah! I have gotten a bit out of control the last few years. Part of me feels like if it makes my life easier, buy it. However, I would hate to total what I spend on my classroom every year. I also have tons of things stored in my home that I no longer need in the classroom. I want to think carefully about my spending and set a budget to limit what I buy.
- Eat better! I am one of those teachers who works through lunch and inhales a bit of something while prepping. I’m just not a person who packs a lunch and I avoid the teacher's lounge like the plague. It just doesn’t help me to stay positive. However, I would like to eat more balanced and healthy “meals” at school – and not buy the student school lunches!
- Keep working on balance! I have worked really hard the past few years at creating a life for myself outside of school. I want to continue to do things that I enjoy and not let work take over every minute of my life.
What a list! I could probably come up with a few more goals, but I’m a *little* OCD too! I can’t wait to read more blogger goals. Link up and share!