Thursday, August 23, 2012

Teacher Week–Therapeutic Thursday

Yeah, me!  I’m finally on time with a post for Teacher Week 2012!  Did you notice that I skipped the classroom pics yesterday? We don’t officially start until Monday and we don’t have kids until the next Tuesday.  However, we have a meet and greet this   Wednesday.  The name of the game has been :”Make it presentable". I spent 10 hours today and was too exhausted to even take pictures when I left at 9:00. I still have piles and just can bring myself to take pictures.

It has been interesting to pull out my things and decide whether they fit in a third grade, but seriously, it is like moving and decorating an entire house in one whack when you move classrooms and grades!

I have been reading the posts and am noticing that many of us say we are “Type A!”  When I was in college, we took personality tests in a  psychology class and the teacher told us (all teachers) that 90% of teachers fall into the same four personality trait composite.  The only variant was the difference between teachers who were more creative thinkers versus linear thinkers.  Interesting!

How do I relax?  Relax?  What is that? Seriously, I need to do more of that.

1. Quilting – Very relaxing and methodical.  It takes a lot of thinking for me to make fabric choices and decide on patterns.  I can’t even think about school. Then, cutting and sewing is so mindless that I can just get in a zone.  Plus, when it is a quick quilt, I am amazed that something so pretty can be created in such a short period of time! Sorry about the pic overload, but I couldn’t pick my favorites.  I need to finish my Eric Carle Quilt and my Dr. Suess Quilt for my classroom.

DSC031610419111740downsized_0311121109aP101012006051115460605111547DSC014620605111547a 

2. Shop – I LOVE to shop!  Probably too much!  Thrifting is my favorite way to relax.  I also love to poke around antique stores.  My Grandmother always called it “junking”.    

3. Read – Sometimes I read all weekend.  I wish I could do that more.

4. Cooking – I used to love baking, but for some reason I don’t do it very much since we bought our house. I like to cook for the week on the weekends.

5. Gardening – When I do work in the garden, I am amazed at how calm I become and how I don’t even notice time.  Again, something I would like to do more of.

DSC00946

6. Remodeling and Decorating My Home – We gutted and remodeled out kitchen a few years ago.  I wish I had a picture of the copper ceiling.  Next up is my closet and the bathroom!

DSC01401DSC01403

7. Reading Blogs (Other than teaching blogs) – Cooking, decorating, gardening, quilting, fashion.

Finding Joy in My Kitchen Photobucket

8. Kitty Therapy – We have so many kittens at the farm and I will go and visit them to snuggle.  I try to snuggle with my big cat, Murphy, but he has a mind of his own! 

 

DSC01454

9. Genealogy Research – I have been researching my dad’s family for a few years.

10. Crafting – I am getting back into scrapbooking now that I have a niece.  I also like to make jewelry.  It is quite nice to see a necklace and then make it for a fraction of the price!

Well, I guess that’s it. I often say that my job gets in the way of my hobbies!   What helps you to relax?

(P.S. – Sorry for typos and grammar errors! I am beyond tired and can’t think clearly enough to proofread!)

No comments:

Post a Comment