Friday, September 23, 2011

Wonderful Word Walls for Writing

I have a large magnetic word wall in my classroom, but the boards are too high and in accessible to the students.  A few years ago I created a portable word wall for my students to use.  We use the 220 Dolch words at my school, so those are the words on the word wall.

I copy it back-to-back on neon cardstock so the students can keep the word wall in their folders.  A few other teachers print each paper and adhere them to file folders for the students to use as offices.  I like that, when I copy them back-to-back, the word walls are easily accessible and not as fussy as folders.

I introduce them by playing the game eye spy.  So I will say “I spy a word that starts with /l/”.  I have 2 or 3 kids guess, then give the next clue. "”I spy a word that starts with /l/ and has a double vowel.”  The game helps the kids to get a sense of how to use the board and calls their attention to features of the words.  I have had them play this game in centers and have suggested it to parents for play at home.

Click below for your copy.  I hope it is useful!

image

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to make a portable word wall for the kids this year ... so this is VERY timely. Thank you! And I'm going to try the I Spy game, too.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! Can't wait to use it.

    ReplyDelete