Wednesday, May 16, 2012

MIA and an End of the Year Writing


Sorry that I have not been around!  It has been a monster few weeks!  We had our first grade musical and I have had some many meetings that I am surprised I actually still teach.  I have been working pretty long hours and trying to fit a lot in.  Hopefully I am over the hump now!  We have a whopping 24 days of school left!  So much to do in that time!!!  I am starting to panic a bit about moving my room and getting reports and filing done.  One thing at a time, right!?!

I did get to visit my new room today!  It faces the playground and apparently gets a bit loud.  Oh, well!  It has an outside door, which is new for me and it pretty clean otherwise (you know how carpets can get).  I knew the folks I will be working with from other activities, but it was nice to meet them again knowing I will be working with them.

Last year I read Leo the Late Bloomer with my students and plan to do it again this year.  We have a required writing piece where students write a reading response for the writing portfolios and this book was a great on to respond to.  It is about Leo, who is having a tough time learning new things at school.  His father is worried, but his mother knows that he will learn at his own pace.  Leo grows and by the end of the book, he has learned how to do many new things.

I found a great writing piece to go with this book!  Katie at The First Grade Jungle has a great organizer and writing paper.  I have to tell you, the pieces actually made me cry.  The kids were so thoughtful and I really could tell that I had made an impact on them.  I passed the pieces on to their second grade teachers, but I also made a copy for myself!

I also featured this book over on my other blog: Picture Books to Inspire Readers!  It features picture books with summaries mini-lesson ideas organized by skills.  Please take a look and let me know what you think!!!

Check out this great activity and I am sure you will be pleased with the wonderful things your kids tell you!  It really made me smile as I spent hours cleaning out files and closing up my room last year.

Hopefully I will be back soon!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to check out this book. I like to read the book "Last Day Blues!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. When our students' writing has that kind of impact on us, we know why all over again why we are doing this job. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete