Monday, January 7, 2013

Pet of the Day

I wanted to share a great activity that adds authentic reading and writing to the classroom and provides a bit of entertainment. I was finding that snack time was turning into more of a recess time and management issues were cropping, so I pulled out an old calendar activity from when I taught first grade.  It is a website called “Pet of the Day.”  I pull it up on our electronic whiteboard and we read it while the kids are eating snack.  Here are a few features:

  • Introduces different animals.
  • Animals are from all over the country and world – makes a great connection to social studies.
  • Sometimes kids write about their pets and send it in.
  • Students can get a sense of an author’s voice and other writing features.

This has been super motivating for my students and they love to read about the pets together.  Check it out!

 

image

No comments:

Post a Comment