Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Favorite Mentor Texts Linky

Funky First Grade Fun is hosting a Linky Party on our most favorite mentor texts.

 

David’s Drawings by Cathryn Falwell is a fantastic book for teaching students how to expand their stories and add details.  David makes a simple drawing of a tree.  As he shows it to others, he gets suggestions on how to add to his drawing.  This is a great connection to writing and how students can add details to their writing to produce an even better piece.  It is also great to introduce peer editing.

I love using any book by Cynthia Rylant and some by Patricia Polacco to teach narrative writing.  Both author are great about taking a moment in their lives and making it into a story.

image  image    image image

Reading Rockets is a great source for author interviews.  There are clips that support writer’s craft lesson and the students are enthralled to see their favorite writers talking about their work.

image

I Love You the Purplest, by Barbara Joosse, is a fantastic book to teach students more complex sentence structures and how to include interesting adjectives in their writing.  I love this book!

image

I know there are so many more great ones!  I can’t wait to check out the other link-ups! Check it out!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased to see your great idea for using my book, David's Drawings, to encourage young writers to expand their stories. Great!
    Thank you.
    Cathryn Falwell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up! David's Drawings is new to me. I'm gonna have to add that to my Amazon shopping cart. I'm a new follower! :)
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^_^ Thanks for sharing! Great suggestions.

    ReplyDelete