Monday, October 17, 2011

Virtual Manipulative Resources

Love2Learn2Day is having Math Monday Blog Hop #28. Click on the button to check out the great resources!

I was excited about math this year because I spent so much time writing curriculum last year and read these two great books:

image     image 

I wanted to work through some of the new concepts in our curriculum through the use of our Promethean Board.  I found 2 great sites with virtual manipulatives.  Check them out to see if they are helpful to you.

The first is from the National Library of Virtual Manipulatives.  It wasn’t exactly what I was looking for, but had some neat features.

image

The site below is fantastic.  It is through McGraw-Hill and you can change to all sorts of manipulatives. I took a screen shot of some that I tried.  Love it!  I think this will really help me out.

image

Some how, despite all of my excitement and new understandings, I have just gotten a bit stuck teaching math this year.  We have a new series: GoMath.  It is great, but I am just having a hard time working with a textbook.  It is the first time our students have worked with a textbook of any kind.  We used to start with patterns and graphing and now begin with adding and subtracting.  HUGE difference.  I am also finding that my little ones who are still working on kindergarten concepts are not eased into the first grade material anymore.  They are dumped into adding and subtracting. 

I think next year will be much better, but teaching math is a challenge right now.  I’ll keep plugging away and trying to make heads or tails of the new and different concepts I am teaching.  I hope to have some great things to share as my brain gets wrapped around the new curriculum and all of my new resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment