Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Great Books for Teaching Retellings

I have been working on retellings this week.  Of course, Pinterest came to the rescue with inspiration! This anchor chart was linked back to the blog The Techy Teacher.

Pinned Image

I made a similar one that I need to take a picture of.  I knew I wanted to use fairytales to practice retelling because the students are already familiar with them.  They do not need to digest a new story and the skill of retelling at the same time.

I already used Goldilocks this year and didn’t really feel jazzed about using it again.  Instead I pulled out The Little Red Hen.  I introduced the chart and set the purpose of the story.  We read the book (with my new FM system!!!) and then wrote our ideas as a class on post-its.  I stuck them onto the board.

image    image    image

I am going to use The Three Little Pigs tomorrow and introduce retelling sticks.  I made cards below and attached them to popsicle sticks.  I pass them out and the students holding the sticks tell that part of the story.  It holds everyone accountable for listening and thinking.  I won’t add the message and connection until later in the year.

Click on the image to snag your copy!

image

That’s all I got today!

No comments:

Post a Comment