Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bucket Fillers - Part 4

Bucket Fillers - Part 4
Reading Response Activity


So, I didn't plan to write another post, but I thought I would share my reading response activity that I did with Have You Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud and David Messing.

I read the Bucket Filler books at the beginning of the year to set up my behavior management systems and to start class meeting routines. I also do a Kevin Henkes author study to talk about behavior and characters in books. This led to an end-of-the-year writing piece where I reread Have You Filled a Bucket Today? and our favorite Kevin Henkes books. Then we brainstormed how we have filled buckets this year, referring to the poster we made at the beginning of the year on ways to fill people's buckets. Then we talked about how the characters in the Kevin Henkes books did or did not fill the buckets of other characters.

You can click here to get your copy.

It was a great discussion and I could tell that the idea of filling buckets really stuck with the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment