Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Classroom Management Linky Party

Miss Kindergarten is hosting a Classroom Management Linky Party!


It looks like this party is about volume control in the classroom. This has always been tough for me, because I have a really soft voice and have a hard time talking over loud groups. When I taught older grades, eventually the classes took on my tone and ended up being quieter groups. That does not seem to be the case in 1st grade.

Our building uses a 3, 2, 1, 0 system throughout our building.
3 = Outside Voice
2 = Talking Voice
1 = Whisper Voice
0 = Silent Voice
This system works really well and we have posters in our classrooms and throughout the school. I made small versions to tape onto my computer stands next to our log-in codes for different sites. The kids always seem to forget that computer time is not a talking time.

When we have Writing Workshop or Reading Workshop times, I put up a sign on the board that reminds the students of the noise level. I got this idea somewhere along the way years ago and make a big deal about putting the sign up. It means that it is silent so that our brains can do our best thinking. Since we now have Promethean Boards in our classrooms, I have made the signs as charts to put up on the electronic whiteboard.

Click here to get the paper version.


Along with the visual signal, I also give a verbal signal. I count backwards to signal that it is a quiet work time: "3, 2, 1, and 0 - It is ______________ time."

The other thing I do to control volume is to play music in the classroom. Years ago I bought a set of nature cds. When I play them, the students know that it is a quiet working time and if they cannot hear the music, they are too loud. It seems to fill the void when kids talk just because it is too quiet. They even request the music to be played! It calms everyone!


I can't wait to find a few new ideas from other posters!

1 comment:

  1. Love those posters!! Visual reminders are always useful. Thanks so much for linking up!

    Hadar
    Miss Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete