Saturday, July 23, 2011

Out of the Mouths Of Babes Linky Party

Mrs. Dillard is hosting an Out of the Mouths Of Babes Linky Party!


I have had so many times when I thought, "Hey, I should write that down!", but you know how that goes! I wish I could remember more, but here are a few of the most memorable!

1. When I was in my first year of teaching, I was teaching kindergarten, one of my students said (with the cutest face), "I'm not very good at coloring." Her neighbor, a little one who always said what she was thinking, said "You're not bad...for a beginner." I can't even begin to convey the voice expression through writing, but it was like a mother talking to her little one!

2. There are those days when you must hear your name a gabillion times! I sometimes tell the kids that I am changing my name and will no longer answer if they call me by my old one. Being that my last name is a color, I will often tell them I am Mrs. _____ (another color). Well, one day at the end of the year, I was losing my mind and desperately trying to finish a million things while the kids should have gone on vacation a week earlier, I decided it was time for a name change. I didn't tell the kids what my new name was this time. One of my little cuties went through about 4 color names and then finally said, "Mrs. Rainbow". I couldn't help but burst out laughing!

3. I had a little guy in third grade who had spent countless hours in my guided reading groups reading chapter books. I was always talking about how good readers visualize and make pictures in their minds to better understand their reading. It was not a concept he was ready to embrace. At one point, I think it was May, he looked at me during reading group with an expression of astonishment on his face. He said, "I just invented that if you use the words to make a picture in your head, you can understand the story better!" Well, glad I was there to do my job that year!

4. This year two of my girls were playing. One said to another, "You be the princess. I'll be the queen...just to be fair."

5. A group of students were playing with beanie babies this year and one picked up the puppy BB. He/She started barking at the others in the group. One of the students replied, "I'm sorry, I don't speak dog!"

6. When I was team teaching, one of the girls said to me, "Just call me princess, everyone does." My co-teacher, who had taught this student the previous year said, "Honey, there are a lot of princesses in this classroom." The best reply ever!

I hope you get a laugh out of this - I know I was laughing when I was rereading them!

No comments:

Post a Comment