Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Math Work Stations - Chapter 7 - Geometry

I have been reading along with the fantastic book discussion on Debbie Diller's Math Work Stations, but didn't feel like I had much to contribute. I have always been a solid ELA person and my planning around math has not been nearly as strong. I have never really had a strong knowledge of math myself and not having a series to support my teaching has left me with a lack of knowledge of how to teach concepts to firsties well. This book study and the opportunity to write curriculum based on the core has led me to a much greater understanding of teaching first grade concepts.

I thought that I could contribute some of the things I have done in the past and force myself to create the printables and plan a bit. Advanced planning - who knew!

In the past I have linked work with tangrams and pattern blocks to writing by having the students create pictures and then create a writing piece around their picture. I have the kids trace around their shapes, or use paper pieces to create their pictures. Click here to get your copy.


I also have the students do a shape hunt around the room. They record their findings in words and pictures. This is also great for a walk around the school or the playground. e also have a great school garden where students could look for shapes in the items in the garden. Click here for the printable.

The other thing I have done is have the kids bring in examples of 3D objects from home to create a Shape Museum. They share their object and tell what attributes it has to make it the shaped that it is. I used a tri-fold board on the counters in front of my window to hang and attach items for the display. Hmm, maybe I need to do this again...

I hope that someone find these ideas helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment