Wednesday, July 27, 2011

New Year's Resolutions!

The Clutter Free Classroom is having a New Year Resolution Linky Party.

ClutterFreeClassroom

Right now, I have a billion things I want to accomplish this year. It is so hard to focus on specifics!!! Okay, here are my resolutions:

1. Balance - I have worked so hard to find a balance between work and home. It is difficult to view teaching as a job when your heart, soul, and mind are so tied to what you do. I even find that how I am feeling about myself is reflective of my teaching. I love what I do, but still feel terrible when I don't live for my job. After this many years, I need to stop feeling guilty about wanting to be a person outside of school.

2. Saying No - This goes with finding balance. I am terrible at saying yes to everything. Part of it is that I am just not quick enough on my feet to say anything other than "sure, I'll do that". Again, it is a guilt thing. I need to get over it!

3. Organization - Another goal I have worked very hard on. I am working on letting go. I finally have gotten to the point where I am giving my 3rd grade stuff to a colleague who is moving to another district. (I am fighting the urge to copy the files before passing them on!) I am not the most organized person outside of school either, but I am hoping that getting some systems down pat will result in more time away from school.

4. Involve Parents - I have not been great about inviting parents into the classroom. I started out teaching 3rd and 4th where parents were just not a huge part of the day. First grade was a shocker! I am very shy in a lot of ways and I find that having adults in the room takes away from who I am as a teacher because I am self-conscious. I am also not a huge schedule person, so scheduling helpers forces my schedule and finding consistent help is not always easy. I would not only like to be less self-conscious, but also have parents in to help out more regularly.

4. Be a Leader - I am taking on the position as co-leader of the grade level for the second year. I am hoping that I can delegate and really help to move us forward this year.

5. Go Back to School?!? - Did I really type that? I have wanted to go back for a post-graduate degree for years now and I think the time is coming. I found a really good program and a few supportive folks to guide me through the process. My husband is open to it. We will see...

I think we need a support group to follow through on our resolutions!

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading your resolutions! I can totally feel ya on the Parent Involvement! I look really young, and I'm kinda shy too, so I feel like I can't be myself sometimes when parents are around. I always feel like I'm being judged! Really need to work on it! So glad I'm not the only one!

    http://firstgradewizards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely agree with your goals. It's hard to balance school and family. I always tell myself that family has to be first!!
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete